Attitude is a habit of thought. Every second your five senses are bombarded with millions of bits of data.
Since it’s impossible to process that much data, your brain has created well worn neural pathways, or patterns of interpretation, to process repetitive data sets. Those patterns filter the incoming data and make it possible to form an understanding of the world from historical repetitive patterns. Our thoughts conform to these historical patterns created through repeated input.
We can change the patterns but only through conscious effort. It takes energy to change the patterns. If your mental attitude is not positive, then it will take work to change that attitude. How do you maintain a positive mental attitude?
You maintain a positive mental attitude by holding positive mental thoughts. But how do you that if you currently have so many negative thoughts? Here are eight techniques:
1. Repeat an affirmation. An affirmation is a positive statement of a future positive state as if it has already been achieved. Repeat it with emotion and develop new positive pathways in the brain.
2. Listen to uplifting educational CDs in your car as you drive. Reject talk shows and other entertainment. Instead, focus on positive material and messages.
3. When exercising, cleaning house, doing yard work or other such tasks, listen to an iPod or MP3 player filled with educational and uplifting material. You’ll finish your tasks more energetically and with a more positive attitude.
4. Watch only positive and educational TV shows. Don’t fall into the habit of leaving the television constantly on for background noise. Negative shows and information will seep into you and your family’s brain even though you may be unaware of it. And the negative impact will manifest itself at some point.
5. In all your interactions, look for and find the opportunities, positive lessons, feedback or gifts you can take away.
6. Stay grateful for all the abundance and blessings that come into your life. Everything that comes into your life is a gift for which you can be grateful.
7. Avoid and flee from the company of people who drain your energy, are negative, or who cause you distress.
8. Fall in love with yourself and other people! Love is the most powerful force in the universe. It provides positive energy and positive results.
If you practice these eight tools and techniques consistently every day, I guarantee that you will maintain a positive mental attitude. Along with a positive mental attitude come some powerful effects – happiness, joy, and mental ease. Try it, you’ll like it!
Joe Farcht is the founder and president of Leadership Advantage, Inc. His purpose for living is to develop and coach leaders, executives, managers, and supervisors to new levels of performance and success in their work and life. He is the author of the book Building Personal Leadership: Inspirational Tools & Techniques for Work & Life. Learn more at Leadership Advantage, Inc.. Please contact Joe at email@example.com or at 602 996-1802.