Submitting to directories is one of the easiest ways of getting links. The practice has been in place since the concept of link building came into effect when Google started judging a sites’ ranking potential based on the number of incoming links it had.
From SEO experts with plenty of of experience to new-to-SEO website owners, a host of people with varying levels of expertise turn to Directory Submission everyday, because they all realize that it is one of the first few steps needed for a website to get indexed by the search engines.
Many of us forget to consider just what Directory Submission involves and how it can best aid our SEO efforts – submitting to a list of directories just like that will hardly prove to be effective or helpful. There are plenty of of factors to consider before you have your site submitted to a directory. Smarter search engines, tougher-than-ever competition and ever-changing SEO trends have made it very important that directory submissions are done with a lot of care and any possible help from experts.
Listed below are the basic guidelines to consider when submitting to a web directory, try to keep these pointers in mind to make your directory submissions more effective.
1. Submit only to directories that are recognized by the search engines. The directory should not use the ‘rel=no follow’ attribute for a link, this will prevent the search engines from even indexing your link.
2. Submit to the most relevant category. Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.
3. Read and follow the guidelines before you begin the submission process.
4. Include your target keywords in your anchor text, but don’t resort to ‘keyword stuffing’.
5. Keep a detailed record of your submissions. You need to avoid duplicate submissions in the future.
6. Use relevant targeted keywords instead of popular broad-based keywords as your title. E.g. ‘Duplex Houses for Sale in Florida’ instead of ‘Real Estate – Florida’.
7. Rotate and use as many different titles and descriptions as possible.
8. Keep submitting to directories from time to time – do not stop.
Sameer S Panjwani is the CEO and Founder of Directory Maximizer, a web directory submission service, that offers the services of professionally submitting websites to quality seo-friendly directories online. Directory Maximizer also offers an exciting affiliate program for webmaster related sites.