In our last article we examined the top ten ways that regular exercise can protect you from disease and add years to your life. In this article we’re going to examine even more ways that you can benefit from exercise!
Even though many of us exercise so we can look better, we shouldn’t forget the many health benefits of training. So without further ado, here are some more reasons to exercise:
11) Fight Osteoperosis: It is estimated that bone mass in women is lost at a rate of 0.75% to 1% per year from age 35 onwards, and this rate increases to 2% to 3% per year at menopause. Exercise also has been shown to prevent bone loss, even in older women.
12) Prevent The Common Cold: A new study (University of South Carolina in Columbia) suggests that being active may actually reduce the number of colds people get each year.
13) Emotional Boost: Experts also agree that even minimal weight loss provides an emotional boost and may give you the self-confidence to change jobs, go back to school, move ahead in life, improve relationships and decrease your overall stress level.
14) Better Pregnancy: There are new reasons to control your weight both before and after you conceive — particularly if you’re heavy before you even try to have a baby. Obesity promotes not only severe pregnancy complications in the mother, it also places the baby at high risk of health problems.
15) Prevent Disability In Seniors: It is reasonably safe to say most seniors wish to remain independent and active. To do so, exercise must be a part of their daily lives. Exercise can prevent disability and retain good health for independent living among older people. Experts have just recently become aware of exercise as a prevention of disability among older citizens.
There you have it…..five more reasons why regular exercise will help you add years to your life…..and you thought that exercise just helped you look good in a swimsuit!!
Tracie Johanson is the founder of Pick Up The Pace, a 30-minute exercise studio for women focusing on fitness, health and nutrition for maximum weight loss. Please visit http://www.letspickupthepace.com/ for more information.