The yellow tongue is caused when there is an accumulation of dead cells, coloured particles or bacteria on the surface of the tongue. This is usually harmless and rarely might it be caused due to the medical health condition called jaundice. The yellow colour of the tongue generally fades away on its own also care yourself and find out the reason for the underlying cause. It is common to notice among all age groups, but, it is visibly seen among pregnant women due to hormonal changes. In this article, let’s understand more about the yellow tongue: its causes, symptoms, any association with other diseases, home remedies, and when to see the doctor. Scroll down the post to know more about it.
What are the signs and symptoms of the yellow tongue?
Here we have listed out a few common signs and symptoms you notice when you have developed yellow tongue. Check them out below:
- Feeling the bad taste
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Dry mouth
- The appearance of fur or hair on the tongue
- Burning sensation
- White patches or coating on the tongue
What causes yellow tongue?
Tongue health can reveal your health. So, here we have compiled a few possible causes of yellow tongue and how it relates to your health.
- Use of antibiotics
- Use of bismuth and other medications
- Excess bacterial growth in the mouth
- Oral care products like mouthwash
- Papillae inflammation caused by tooth extraction or tonsillectomy
- Scarlet fever
- Food products like food dyes and colorants may stick to the tongue
- Oral thrush
- Poor oral hygiene
- Geographic tongue
- Inflammation in the gastric lining
- Chewing tobacco and other products
If you have a concern over the change in the colour of your tongue and even if not reduced after following good lifestyle habits, then consult your healthcare provider immediately. If your doctor prescribes medicines, buy them from the best online medicine store and get them delivered at your doorstep.
Is there is any association with yellow tongue and other diseases?
Yes! Developing a yellow tongue could be a sign of other underlying medical conditions such as
- Strep throat and sore throat
- Developing yellow colour under the tongue might be due to gallstones, gall-bladder disease, skin rash, fever, Epstein – Barr virus, and hepatitis disease.
Natural remedies to treat yellow tongue:
Below we have listed out a few natural home remedies that you can follow Check them out below:
- Drink enough water and keep your body well hydrated
- Reduce your alcohol consumption
- Quit smoking
- Include more of fermented food products, yoghurt and probiotics
- Limit intake of starch and oily foods
- Maintain proper oral hygiene
- Use the right mouthwash
- Eat a healthy diet and practice healthy lifestyle habits
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Don’t use a toothbrush bristles to floss your tongue instead use a tongue cleaner to clean your tongue.
When to consult the doctor?
If your tongue remains yellow even after one week of treating with medications, lifestyle adjustments, and by following home remedies, then schedule a doctor’s visit immediately. Also, if you notice other symptoms along with the discolouration of the tongue then it is a clear indication of having an underlying medical issue. Your health care provider or dentist may check for the underlying cause and suggest you with the treatment option to ease the symptom. If medicines are prescribed by your doctor then order prescription medicines from a trusted online pharmacy in India and avail amazing discount on every order you place.