Acne or acne vulgaris is a skin problem that arises when the skin pores get clogged by debris, excess sebum, dirt and bacteria. This may lead to the building up of inflammatory cells, giving rise to pimples, a form of acne. Whiteheads and blackheads are the other forms of acne. Acne makes the skin look ugly and is thus an embarrassing problem. Acne is very common among teenagers. In the teenage, oil glands are hyperactive. They produce excess oil which acts as a magnet for dirt and germs. This leads to the breaking out of acne.
Acne usually begins as whitehead, then takes the shape of blackheads and finally becomes a pimple. Pimples are pus filled mounds on the skin. The area around the mound is usually red and when they heal, they leave scars. Acne can break out on face, shoulders, trunk, arms, legs or buttocks. Acne is triggered by factors like hormonal changes, stress, consumption of oily food, intake of contraceptive pills, nutritional deficiencies, use of greasy cosmetics, excessive sweating, intake of steroidal drugs, hormonal pills etc.
Ways to cure acne, pimples:
1. Remove all dirt and make-up by cleaning skin thoroughly with a mild soap like Dove or Neutrogena. This is the first step towards curing acne, pimples.
2. If you have oily hair, shampoo it everyday. Do not let the hair fall on your face.
3. Use water-based, non-comedogenic cosmetics on your skin.
4. Do not allow sweat to collect on skin.
5. Give up the habit of touching the affected skin with dirty, unwashed hands.
6. Expose your skin to little amount of sunlight. This is a good curative measure.
7. Intake of multi-vitamin, zinc and chromium supplements would give your skin the necessary nutrition and heal and cure acne, pimples.
8. Include beta-corotene rich carrots in diet. This is an effective acne cure.
9. Try out the following home remedies:
a. Rub garlic on pimples and on the skin around pimples. This destroys acne causing bacteria and your pimples would vanish in no time.
b. Apply fresh mint juice on pimples and other forms of acne to get rid of them.
c. Grind sesame seeds with water to make a paste. Apply it on acne, pimples and wash off after it dries up. This is an effective means of curing acne, pimple.
d. Mix vinegar with salt to make a paste. Apply the paste on acne, pimples. Wash off after 30 minutes with lukewarm water.
e. Drink wheatgrass juice daily to get cured of acne, pimples.
f. Application of raw papaya juice also cures acne, pimples.
10. Dab the affected skin with a cotton ball soaked in benzyl peroxide or resorcinol or salicylic acid frequently throughout the day. This heals and cures acne.
11. You can apply on skin prescription antibiotics like clindamycin, dapsone etc, azelaic acid, retinoic acid in the form of topical creams.
12. You can also opt for medical procedures like photodynamic theory, dermabrasion, cortisone injection etc.
13. Stabilize your raging hormones with pills like Spironolactone. You can also try safe herbal cure for acne i.e. Golden Glow capsules or Glisten Plus capsules.